Last year saw the country’s first BJCP-accredited national beer competition take place. Smaller events happen around the country – mostly at festivals – but this was the first time that craft brewers around the country could all compete to have their beer crowned best in SA. The worthy winner of the inaugural contest was Dog and Fig’s Stewige Stout, a beer that’s been much-sought-after at festivals (and I’m sure at their brewery) ever since.
And it’s not just the fame, glory and increased sales that are up for grabs. There are also some pretty hefty prizes on offer, sponsored by the SAB World of Beer. So brewers, get your entries ready and drinkers – start cajoling your favourite brewery into entering their brews. The competition is only open to commercial brewers (though watch this space for the National Homebrewing Championships, taking place later this year) but the contest is a lot more open than last year, as Convenor of Judges Sean Watts said: “Last year’s Championship was a pilot, this year we have evolved the competition to make it bigger and with better prizes. The 2014 SA Craft Brewing Championship is more inclusive as we have opened up the styles – a brewer can enter any beer they regularly brew, as long as it fits in the first 23 categories as laid out in the Beer Judge Certification Programme (BJCP) style guidelines.”
Here’s the lowdown on prizes, rules and dates you need to know. Please encourage your favourite brewer to participate!
- R50 000 from The World of Beer
- 100kg Malt from SAB Maltings
- 2kg Hops from SAB Hop Farms
- R10 000 worth of consultancy or training from Global Beverage Solutions;
- R7500 worth of Speciality malts and dried yeast from The Brew Master
- R30 000 from The World of Beer
- 50kg Malt from SAB Maltings
- 1kg Hops from SAB Hop Farms
- R6000 worth of Speciality malts and dried yeast from The Brew Master
- R10 000 from The World of Beer
- 20kg Malt from SAB Maltings
- 500g Hops from SAB Hop Farms.
- R2500 worth of Speciality malts and dried yeast from The Brew Master
How to Enter
To enter go to http://www.sabstories.co.za/beer-culture and complete the entry form. The competition closes at 5pm on Friday 12 September 2014. Beer samples must be delivered to the World of Beer between 1 September and 12 September 2014. Judging will take place on 13 September 2014. Rules for the contest can be found here: http://www.sabstories.co.za/terms-conditions/.
Winners will be announced at an event at the World of Beer on 3 October 2014 – MCed by none other than your Brewmistress – me!