Beer 101 – Staff Training
Know your wine but baffled about beer? Do your staff know their IBUs from their ABVs? Can they tell a brown ale from an amber lager? Can they recommend the perfect beer pairing for a plate of salmon or a spicy curry?
If not, it’s time to sign them up for a Beer 101 course. Beer writer and African’s only Certified Cicerone (akin to a beer sommelier) Lucy Corne presents a 90-minute training session to get bartenders, servers or managers up to speed on beer. The session includes:
- A brief history of beer – worldwide and in South Africa
- Sniff, taste and touch the ingredients and learn how they influence the final flavour of the beer
- A basic look at brewing – how malt and hops are transformed into liquid gold
- Pouring the perfect pint – dos and don’ts of pouring both draught and bottled beer
- When beer goes bad – recognising off flavours and working out what the problem is
- Tutored tasting – what to look for and how to describe beers to customers
- Intro to food and beer pairing – an overview of how to match food and beer, which can be tailored to your menu and beer selection
About the presenter: Lucy is South Africa’s foremost beer writer. She writes as The Brewmistress, is the editor of On Tap Magazine and has authored two books on the South African beer scene: African Brew and Beer Safari. Lucy is a BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) qualified judge and the first Certified Cicerone® in Africa.