After what will be nine long weeks, South Africans will finally be able to legally buy alcohol again from June 1. Sales are off-consumption only, from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday. The queues are likely to be sizable, certain stock might well be at a premium, and either people will be limited to a certain allowance, or else the’ll be buying whatever they can afford to stockpile, just in case we get bumped back up to level four or five.
So if you’re keen to avoid the queues – and keen to support small, local businesses – here’s a list of places where you can buy craft beer online in South Africa. We all know times are tough for everyone, and that craft beer tends to be more expensive that its mass-produced cousin and many breweries are trying to offer deals, from free delivery to free gifts when you order a certain amount of beer or the chance to win beer when you order online.
- Best Craft Beer is a brewer-run online store stocking an excellent range of beer and cider from independent producers large and small around the country.
- Bottlestore The only place you can buy Pilsner Urquell online in SA! (Plus a range of local brands and a bunch of other booze).
- The Beer Merchant If you don’t want to buy by the case, you can order six-packs here and get yourself a selection from different breweries. New products due to be added gradually.
- Brewhaha Check the pinned post on their FB page for details on how to order taking orders – minimum order 20 x 440ml bottles.
- Richmond Hill Online store now operating – shipping costs discounted for bulk purchase (free delivery when you order three or more cases). in the process of setting up an online store.
- Featherstone Brewery Free delivery in Grahamstown /Makhanda for orders over R250.
- Agar’s Brewery Discounts of up to 15% on bulk buys.
- Hazeldean Brewing Co. Online store about to go live…
- At Hops End Buy the At Hops End range as well as some beers from Old Potter’s Inn and a few Belgian brews.
- OC Brewery You can order by the can or case.
- Clockwork Brewhouse Grab a special edition mixed packs for R325.
- KZN Craft Revolution You can order beer from microbreweries throughout the province. All orders come with a free copy of KZN Brew Hop magazine.
- Durban Brewing Co. Order by WhatsApp (083 317 5695) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Drakensberg Brewery Order online; free delivery.
- Stumpnose Brewery One of the country’s newest microbreweries is now accepting orders for collection.
- Lions River Email your order to email@example.com or WhatsApp your order to 083 775 8549.
- Anvil Ale If you order a case (24) or more, you get your name on the wall of fame and a free pint next time you’re in town.
The Kennel Brewery Order a ‘Pavement Special’ mixed case for R600 including nationwide delivery.
- Afro Caribbean Get a free pint (or more likely can) of Island Blonde when you collect your order.
- Drifter There’s a 20% discount on cases of Legend Lager and Cape Town Blonde.
- Nieuw Brew Order a mixed case to be delivered in level three and get entered into a lucky draw to win a case of beer and a branded t-shirt. Order via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Little Wolf Delivery free for orders over R1000
- Stellenbosch Brewing Co. Wholesale prices and free delivery in the Cape metro area.
- Darling Brew Free shipping on orders over R500. Nationwide delivery.
- The Brewers Co-op Grab a #buynowdrinklater voucher via SnapScan – you can collect your bottled beers from their Woodstock brewery once the government says you can!
- Mountain Brewing Co. Free delivery in the greater Cape Town area when you order two or more cases on their website. Check the list for a full list of the areas covered.
- Birkenhead Brewery Email email@example.com to order.
- Jack Black Free delivery within the Cape Town area on orders over R350. Nationwide deliveries are operated by Best Craft Beer. Order online and get entered into a draw to win free beer for a year! They’re also doing growler fills so you can get a draught beer fix.
- Paternoster Brewery Orders their pilsner and honey porter through the Cape Collective online shop.
- Fraser’s Folly Order on the Black Oystercatcher online shop.
- Hey Joe Brewery Delivering nationwide with discount deals if you order by the end of May. Free delivery in the Western Cape.
- Devil’s Peak Free delivery nationwide. Look out too for trade price deals at their Salt River taproom as well as Epping HQ.
- Cape Brewing Co. Is offering a 25% discount when you use the code #LOCKDOWN20.
- Saggy Stone Order a case and get a free four-pack. Free delivery for orders of 12 beers or more.
- Liquor City Claremont You can purchase from their vast range of beer, wine and spirits online and book a slot to collect your order.
- Charlie’s Brewhouse Email firstname.lastname@example.org to place your order.
- Everson’s Cider Cider enthusiasts, don’t despair! You can order all your favourite Everson’s flavours on their online shop.
- Woodstock Brewery Order online for delivery (Western Cape only) or contactless collection at the tap room. They’re also filling growlers. Whoop!
- Long Beach Brewery You can buy beers from Long Beach as well as small batch specialities from School of Hops, plus brewing ingredients.
- Noon Gun Brewery There’s a 20% discount when you buy by the case – use the discount code FREEDOM. G&T is also available on the site. Delivery to Gauteng and the Western Cape only.
- Shackleton Brewing Company There’s now a “shop” button on their Facebook page. You can order for collection at a specified time, or delivery within Cape Town (charges range from R20 to R50).
- Aegir Project Online shop launches May 31. Collection at the brewery in Noordhoek only.
- Old Potter’s Inn Order via email@example.com or 028 254 9690.
- Patiala Brewery There’s a 10% discount on beer orders until June 7. Order via WhatsApp on 067 290 6759. Deliveries within the Southern Suburbs or collect from the brewery in Constantia.
- Soul Barrel Order via firstname.lastname@example.org or call/WhatsApp 083 600 8716. Collections at the brewery, no deliveries.
- Red Bridge Brewery Order via WhatsApp on 084 076 6269. Brewery opens June 4.
This post is constantly being updated. Brewers – please get in touch!